Thursday, August 16, 2012

Why You’re Wrong and I’m Right « Leadership Freak

Why You're Wrong and I'm Right

Image source

I think what I think because it's right. If you think differently, you're wrong. I never intentionally think stupid ideas or chose wrong options. Do you?

I always choose what I think is right. Research indicates that the act of choosing strengthens my opinion that my choice is right. Even if I'm wrong, I'm right, or at least it feels that way.

Why I need to be right?

  1. I view life as a series of destinations that must be reached.
  2. I'm a control freak. Believe me; I'm right on this one. I stopped playing monopoly years ago because other players didn't realize the trade I offered was right.
  3. I have good intentions. Isn't it strange that we can have good intentions but still be wrong?
  4. I see. Seeing may be the most blinding thing I do; it closes my mind.
  5. I need approval and in order to gain it, I must be right.
  6. I can't get where I'm going and be wrong. I'm paralyzed aren't I?

The thought that I could be wrong doesn't sit well. That's because I'm right!

Slow:

I've been wrong enough to know in my head that I could be wrong. But I'm a slow learner. Thankfully, even as I type this, I know I'm right about being wrong.

What if:

If I could be wrong, I:

  1. Ask questions.
  2. Seek counsel.
  3. Listen.
  4. Respect.
  5. Explore.
  6. Change my mind. (Ouch! That one stings.)
  7. Defend less. I've noticed that my defensiveness invites others to be defensive. It's impossible to help someone feel understood while I'm defending myself.

Just for today, I'm entertaining the thought that I could be wrong.

What's dangerous about the need to be right?

How can leaders be wrong in a leaderly way? (I don't think leaderly is a word. Is it?)

Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted on August 16, 2012 at 6:05 am and is filed under Decisions, Humility, Influence, Leading, Listening, Marks of leaders, Mistakes, Personal Growth. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.




No comments:

Post a Comment